Laxmii (2020, Movie Review)
Laxmii " - Laxmii is an official remake of 2011 Tamil movie Kanchana directed by Raghava Lawrence. Remaking his movie into Hindi must have been a tough task for him but the result is not up to expectations. If the whole plot of the story was kept as it is then it would have been an engaging experience, but coming to Laxmii he changed the plot unnecessarily and failed instantly.
The so-called horror comedy movie had very less comedy and horror; it’s neither funny nor scary as the original Kanchana. In the original plot, the mother in law & daughter in law combination was worth watching, it was the soul of the movie but in this movie, it didn't come as expected. Also, the much loved Mother-Son duo from the original movie is completely scrapped off here. All the supporting cast as Rashmi's (Kiara Adwani) family are talented actors and they also performed well but their performance couldn't save the movie with weak, cringy write up.
The second half where the movie shifts to revenge everything was looking too dull, even the main villain was weak his goons and supporters all were looking too weak. Sharad Kelkar's performance as Laxmii was good but fades in comparison to Sharad Kumar's performance of Kanchana. Coming to Akshay Kumar he carried the entire weight of the movie on his shoulders, his performance as Laxmii was far better than his role as Asif. Akshay was quite better as a transgender but due to fast-moving script, his emotions as Laxmii didn’t get enough time to reach to the audience. Kiara Advani role was only for looking beautiful throughout the movie with zero expressions. Coming to music and background the BGM was scary especially when he is turning as Laxmii, the songs aren't bad especially the Burj Khalifa song was new and refreshing and also the Bam Bole song it was the highlight of the movie seeing the performances of all the extra dancers and Akshay Kumar will give you Goosebumps. Finally, we can say Laxmii can give only 20-30% of the original Kanchana despite Akshay's strong performance.
I wanted to give this movie 5 stars but the one-star I cut is just because I want to keep in mind that the original movie was 5 stars. I don't know why people were praising Akshay Kumar only while Sharad Kelkar was a big surprise for me and he was convincing in his role. I have seen Kanchna many times and Bollywood is all about remakes nowadays whether we talk about the song or the whole movie but I still believe that if you are a great actor you will mesmerise everyone with your acting and the same I feel for Sharad Kelkar. He had a small amount of screen time but very impressive screen time. The south Indian movies are known for its comic element and here we had the same taste. Now I want to say why I gave 4 stars 1 star for the story because even though the movie is a remake but the message needs to be delivered to the audience. 1 star for the entertaining music and comedy I mean ''paisa vasool'' 1 star only and only for Sharad Kelkar sir and 1 star of course for Akshay sir because he can do anything with so much of conviction. I just want to say, I know the movie will get compared but if possible try to watch with a fresh mind. Truly one-time watch I sure will recommend that.
Comments
Post a Comment